[ltp] APM suspend with 2.6 kernel [long]

Michael Hagemann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 4 Jan 2004 22:53:40 +0100

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 16:19:36 -0500 Charles Lepple wrote:

> On Sunday 04 January 2004 04:06 pm, Michael Hagemann wrote:
> > When I try to build the i8042 as a module, I get an error from depmod
> > regarding a "serio_interrupt" symbol.  This is although that symbol is
> > defined in the System.map.  I tried several configurations, but couldn't
> > produce an i8042 module as of yet.  It appears to me, that this part of
> > the kernel is not really wired into the rest, yet...
>
> OK. So for any of the kernel versions before 2.5.28, could you build it with
> the i8042 driver compiled-in (and not as a module)? Or was that when they
> changed? I forget the details of how that worked...

I'll try.

> > That would be an option to look into, too.  But save from the _irq name
> > changes, I can't see any differences between the versions...
>
> It was a subtle change, but some of the segment descriptors got moved around.

>From 2.5.27 to 2.5.28?

> As far as incremental patching, you might look at the BitKeeper repository.
> There, you can apply each changeset, and see what happens with each.

Yeah, I remembered that, too.  I'm just trying to figure it out...

> > I didn't build the kernel with the serial driver enabled.  Maybe I
> > should ...
>
> If I had to guess, _adding_ a driver probably won't help it suspend :-) But I
> could be wrong.

Well, maybe to give the kernel a chance to do the right thing... ;)

> Are you doing anything fancy with tpctl?

I tried to disable some of the devices, but that didn't seem to change
anything...