[ltp] APM suspend with 2.6 kernel [long]

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 05 Jan 2004 16:09:36 +0100

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 15:43, Michael Hagemann wrote:
> The first thing I'll try is to reinsert the __cli/__sti calls right
> around set_system_power_state in apm.c:1199.  That seems to be the most
> promising try.  They also aren't there in 2.6.0-...

I tried that already.  Or rather, I tried putting a

    local_irq_disable();

right before the set_system_power_state() call.  It didn't help.
It shouldn't make any difference because apm_bios_call_simple()
either enables or disables interrupts prior to the firmware call,
depending on the setting of allow_ints.

> > Has anyone tried disabling preemption to see whether that helps?
>
> I had it disabled, but judging from 2.4, where I turned it on and off
> with various patches, it shouldn't matter that much.

It could make a difference in this case.  I would suggest keeping
it off while you are searching for the suspend-refusal problem.
--
Thomas Hood <jdthood2@yahoo.co.uk>