[ltp] CPU temp and fan status/control

Mon, 05 Jan 2004 19:21:55 +0100

Hi,

> The lmsensors-project still says, one should avoid to install it on
> thinkpads. Any other options?

i did some research on this matter, but there's nothing very clear about
it.

You can find postings through google, explaining it all in very detail.

The lm_sensors changelog of 2.8.1 states a fix of EEPROM detection, but
i don't believe this fixes the thinkpad problem.
Also sensors-detect would still quit working when detecting an IBM
machine, i guess.

However, what i can't find is neither is list of working thinkpads nor
information about which thinkpad models contain the atmel eeprom and
which don't. Does anyone know more?

However, the following posting suggests that the problem is with
sensors-detect only, but it's very unproved information.

---
So far, we've only been able to corrupt the chip from the
'sensors-detect' script.  It seems to send the right commands in just
the right order to exploit this weakness.  Regular modules and use
(including with using the eeprom driver to drive it) seem to be safe
thus far, although we are still testing.
---

So if you are quite on the adventurous side, you might try forcing a
lm_sensors version prior to 2.6.5 to use the correct driver for your
system, which you will have to figure out on your own before. It might
work then. But i wouldn't recommend that, since as you can see in this
http://archives.andrew.net.au/lm-sensors/msg00937.html
thread, the whole thing seems to be quite unexplored and sensitive.

Andre.