[ltp] Alan Cox 2.4 PnP BIOS kernels

Michael Hagemann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 22:42:58 +0100

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 21:22:15 +0000 S. Anthony Sequeira wrote:

> Is the PnP BIOS option absolutely necessary.  I see that Thomas Hood
> uses
> 2.4.23 (when I last checked).
>
> If I upgrade, will I be able to use tpctl and/or pcmcia-cs?

There was a similar discussion recently.  You basically don't need the
PnP BIOS support.  tpctl uses it's own interface to the BIOS (SMAPI).

The pnp-tools need the PnP support, but IIRC the only thing you can do
with the pnp-tools that you can't do with tpctl is to make _permanent_
changes to the configuration (I might be wrong, though...).

So if you don't use pnp-tools you don't need PnP BIOS.

michael