[ltp] Datapoint: IBM ultranav USB external keyboard works "out of the box"

Mon, 05 Jan 2004 23:35:38 +0000

Dear All,

Just in case anyone is interested, I decided that I like the IBM
keyboard with integrated trackpoint so much that I bought one for my
desktop. It's the ultranav USB keyboard with both trackpoint and touchpad:
http://www5.pc.ibm.com/uk/products.nsf/$wwwpartnumlookup/_31P8953

It "just works" - no configuration needed (Mandrake 9.2 or Knoppix).
I'm not sure what I want to do with the synaptics-touchpad part of it
(I've always hated those things), but I discovered* that it is easy to
just unplug it internally :-)

*I was willing to risk destroying an external keyboard (£60) with a
screwdriver in a way that I wouldn't open up an expensive laptop ;-)
Actually, it opens really easily - unscrew all the screws on the back.

Best wishes

Richard

P.S. Who needs rodents when you can keep both hands on the keyboard?