[ltp] Suggested models?

Steve Stavropoulos linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 12:19:30 +0200 (EET)

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Syd Hancock wrote:

> Hi
> >  In regard to hardware support usually the latest distro is the
> > best, with the exception of Mandrake which likes so much living
> > on the edge that many times falls off...
> 9.2 works very well for me on  a T23 - and on a couple of desktop
> machines. Do you actually *use* mandrake on a regular basis or are
> you just reading the recent FUD :-)

 I have tried mandrake several times with hardware that is supposed to
work and about 90% of that times it didn't even make it through the
install (weird crashes during the install or deadlock at the booting of
the kernel were the problems mostly). I understand that it works for most
people and I had a little too much bad luck, but I think it is also
mandrake's policy to "include the latest and greatest of everything and
making it work in an adequate percentage of the machines out there", so my
experiences can't be so far from most peoples. Also, people tend to ask me
when they can't install linux or something goes wrong, so I get some extra
experience wich confirms at the most part my own endeavours with
mandrake...
 I should note however, that I was a redhat user and redhat's switch of
plans at the time of redhat 8 and now with fedora get me a hell of a lot
closer to the "Mandrake Experience". I just hope there will be a Fedora
Core 1.1 along side with the fedora 2 (it ain't gonna happen, but hope
dies last...) (now is the time for "You 'll get what you laugh at" types
of advise)

PS. I hope we don't have a distro war, it's not the right place. (otoh if
I really hoped that, I wouldn't have replied ;>)