[ltp] Radeon PCI works, but damn slow

Thu, 08 Jan 2004 13:39:57 +0100

Hi,

> Am Donnerstag, 8. Januar 2004 12:36 schrieb André Wyrwa:
> > Problem is, it's not really fast. glxgears gives me about 170 fps and
> > glxinfo gives the following table:
> This does not look like like hardware rendering.

But its enabled, see the other mail. Also, I can realize a significant,
yet far from overwhelming speed improvement (compared to before when i
didn't have d3d) when running xscreensavers gl hacks.

> >    visual  x  bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer  ms  cav
> >  id dep cl sp sz l  ci b ro  r  g  b  a bf th cl  r  g  b  a ns b eat
> What is the output above this?

Again, see the other mail... the still missing part is here:

OpenGL extensions:
    GL_ARB_imaging, GL_ARB_multisample, GL_ARB_multitexture,
    GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_ARB_texture_compression,
    GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_ARB_texture_env_add,
    GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3,
    GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix,
    GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_EXT_blend_color,
    GL_EXT_blend_logic_op, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_blend_subtract,
    GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array,
GL_EXT_convolution,
    GL_EXT_copy_texture, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_EXT_histogram,
    GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_EXT_polygon_offset, GL_EXT_rescale_normal,
    GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color,
    GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_EXT_subtexture, GL_EXT_texture,
GL_EXT_texture3D,
    GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_texture_env_add,
    GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3,
    GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_EXT_texture_object,
    GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_EXT_vertex_array,
GL_APPLE_packed_pixels,
    GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3, GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once,
    GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip, GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat,
    GL_MESA_pack_invert, GL_MESA_ycbcr_texture, GL_MESA_window_pos,
    GL_NV_blend_square, GL_NV_texture_rectangle,
GL_NV_texgen_reflection,
    GL_SGI_color_matrix, GL_SGI_color_table, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap,
    GL_SGIS_texture_border_clamp, GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp,
    GL_SGIS_texture_lod
glu version: 1.3
glu extensions:
    GLU_EXT_nurbs_tessellator, GLU_EXT_object_space_tess

My suspicion is that - if it's not my softwareside dri support
environment - either the fact that there's still a supersavage without
dri run by the same Xserver or some limitation in data passing through
the docking port might be the cause of the low speed.

Does anyone know more about the docking port or 3D PCI cards in general?
I think i read somewhere that it should be possible to get around 700fps
with a PCI radeon? So, is the docking port a full featured PCI port or
are there some limitations or interferences that might slow down the
passthrough of data (like IRQ sharing???)?
Is there any tool that can show me something like a "PCI bus load" for a
certain bus?

Some comparison to widows: There's no glxgears of course, but I can run
EternalLands on widows after changing the primary display interface to
PCI in the bios (it makes xp only use the radeon and hence enabling
directx). EL gives me frame rates of up to about 20 (with reflections,
cloud shadows and stuff). Even though that's probably not much, it seems
to me still faster that glxgears at 180fps. Any comparable experiences?

Andre.