[ltp] Thinkpad buttons, /dev/nvram, and return from S3 with ACPI

Chun-Yu Shei linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 08 Jan 2004 13:51:14 -0500

Steve Stavropoulos wrote:

>On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Chun-Yu Shei wrote:
>

>>Ari Pollak wrote:
>>

>>>I never really tried APM on this laptop so I don't know how well it
>>>works; I suppose I should, the battery life when using ACPI & cpudynd
>>>isn't that great anyway (about 2 1/2 hours with the standard battery).
>>>

>>Heh, now this is a huge reason to run Windows :)  I can get 4 hours in
>>Windows if I keep my CPU usage down, but in Linux with it fixed at 600
>>MHz, I still can barely get 2 1/2 hours (with the 6 cell, not 9 cell
>>battery).  Power management in Windows is far better than in Linux :-\
>>

> I don't aggree with that. Maybe it's easier in windows, but definetely
>not better. In Linux it's a little harder and the current apm scripts in
>most distros are _stupid_. For example in fedora core 1 you get nice
>laptop_mode enabled when in battery so the kernel waits longer before it
>flushes its buffers, giving the hard drive time to spin down. BUT, the
>bdflush isn't changed accordinally, so you have ext3 writing in disk every
>6 seconds and the disk never spins down. In windows probably you wouldn't
>experience this problem, but you wouldn't get the bdflush option either :>
> Also in windows you can't play divx videos with the cpu running at 200MHz
>or even less (if only intel would let us set the frequency below
>600MHz...)
>

>>Looking at the power usage ACPI provides, it looks like in Linux it
>>never goes under 11-13W or so (if I remember correctly...APM only now).
>>In Windows it can go down as low as 8-10W.
>>

> If I had to guess I would say that in linux the hard disk drive never
>spins down. Absolutely fixable...

Yes, but I meant 4 hours in Windows without the HD spinning down also.
I was talking more about stuff like ATI's PowerPlay that the Windows
driver has that powers down the graphics card (by reducing its clock
speed, iirc).

- Chun-Yu