[ltp] Thinkpad buttons, /dev/nvram, and return from S3 with ACPI

Thu, 8 Jan 2004 19:31:02 +0000 (UTC)

	Ari Pollak wrote:

	> I never really tried APM on this laptop so
	> I don't know how well it works; I suppose I
	> should, the battery life when using ACPI &
	> cpudynd isn't that great anyway (about 2 1/2
	> hours with the standard battery).

	Chun-Yu Shei <cshei@indiana.edu> wrote:
	Heh, now this is a huge reason to run Windows :)

Not particularly.  Windows has as many problems with
overspecialized laptop hardware as any other OS has,
especially regarding ACPI which AFAICT has been slow
at arriving and never really has made it into mainstream
among hardware companies.

It is a problem that there are many divergent and subtle
ways of ACPI.

On my X23 using APM I can run nearly five hours on battery
in both GNU/Linux as well as Windows.

$ uname -a
Linux arch.linuxbox.dk 2.4.24 #1 SMP
 Mon Jan 5 13:46:59 PST 2004 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux

Dennis Decker Jensen