[ltp] considering getting a T40p

Kaj J. Niemi linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 01:26:35 +0200

> Any T40p users on the list? :)

I've got a 2373-G5G with one gigabyte of memory. It's my only personal
workspace nowadays. It's been with me for two months and there's not
much to complain about nor should there be considering the price tag.

I get the battery to last 4-5 hours without BT/WiFi and with the bright-
ness turned down to minimum. I'm using cpudynd to slow down/speed up
the cpu whenever necessary. Typical applications I run are gcc, make,
python, perl, Thunderbird in the background, etc. :)

Any recent distribution should work although I'm sort of partial to
RedHat (or Fedora as it's called nowadays). The laptop works well with
kernel 2.6.0 (and 2.6.1 rc2-bk1), XFree86 is accelerated using standard
drivers.

My Wireless card is the Intel 2100 one which isn't directly supported
(unless you believe the marketing blurb Intel has on their website
promising drivers Real Soon Now(tm) :)) but it'll work acceptably
using the ndiswrapper module.

I'm confident the laptop will last its designed lifetime, another
2.5 years :)

The interrupt table looks right now like this:

% cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:   10909338          XT-PIC  timer
  1:      48914          XT-PIC  i8042
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
  9:         33          XT-PIC  acpi
 11:     710274          XT-PIC  ehci_hcd, uhci_hcd, uhci_hcd, uhci_hcd, yenta, yenta, radeon@PCI:1:0:0, Intel ICH4, eth0
 12:     229670          XT-PIC  i8042
 14:      35957          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:      86441          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
ERR:          0

I haven't tried messing around with those as there hasn't been any need
for it.

// kaj