[ltp] considering getting a T40p

Joel Ebel linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 09 Jan 2004 08:36:00 -0500

In my previous business we used many Dell Inspiron 3800's and 4000's.
After I left, they got Latitude D600's.  I have very little good to say
about them.  They were not built to withstand much abuse at all.  We had
about 25 laptops, and not one of them escaped a repair of some kind.  We
had displays go bad, buttons break off, and most commonly, keyboard not
working.  Parts of the case would break off, batteries would die
prematurely, hard drives would die, etc.  I haven't heard that they've
gotten much better luck with the new ones.  The tech support and repair
depended on who you got when you called them, and it got worse as time
went by.  Sometimes you would get someone very helpful, and other times
you'd get someone who would require you to run 5 tests to verify the
problem, would put you on hold for 5 minutes between each test, and
could barely speak English.  Before I left, almost every call was like
that.  Fortunately our local tech was nice.  We got to know him fairly
well, but even he couldn't get around the horrible service of trying to
get the replacement parts.  Once I changed jobs and had an opportunity
to select my laptop, I wanted to give a Thinkpad a try.  I have called
tech support a few times now, for mostly minor issues, and once for the
hard drive becoming read only. (You may find that incident in the
archives.)  I have almost always talked with someone who was helpful,
spoke English perfectly, and was eager to get me working again.  The one
time I didn't, I deserved it by asking questions he didn't know the
answer to.  Once I get him to refer me to his manager, things went
great.  All in all, my experience has shown IBM's support to be worlds
better than Dell's.  Other may have had drastically different
experiences though.  I've heard that Dell moved their support back to
the US, so maybe they have better English speaking techs again.  But
I've been much more pleased with the quality and durability of my
Thinkpad, and received better support from IBM.

Joel