[ltp] considering getting a T40p

j_f_clark linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 09 Jan 2004 18:20:33 -0500

At 06:19 PM 1/9/2004 +0000, you wrote:
>On Friday 09 January 2004 10:53, Vincent Touquet wrote:
>
> > Anyone got previous experience with other laptops ?
> > Dells ?
>
>C600
>Works well for me.  Support on one occasion, very knowledgeable Indian,
>shared my view of the best OS to use on it, although Dell only supported
>W2k etc on it.
>
>Compared to the TP it is less robust, but nothing has actually broiken yet.
>SuSE 9 now, 7.2 to start with.

My personal laptop is 600X but the company has supplied me with a Dell
Latitude.  I personally prefer the TP 600X.  But I had some initial
problems with battery life on the Dell.  I am using an external drive for
Linux to avoid mucking with company's hard drive.  I have to use a USB 1
port.  No USB 2 ports available.  The Firewire doesn't work with the
docking bay --- apparently a conflict with the CDRW-DVD device which is a
firewire device.  And last trip, I discovered that the internal modem is a
special problem.  I did download the drivers but I stopped when I read the
warnings about what could happen to the company's computer.  I am using
SUSe 8.2 because that is the only distribution I could get loaded on the
external drive.

JC