[ltp] External drive enclosure (IDE to USB converter)

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 18:15:56 -0500

On Saturday 10 January 2004 12:14, after a long battle with technology,
Smith, Robert A wrote:
> [...]

The enclosure *should* work properly, but you'll be stuck at the slow
speed of USB 1.  Maximum write speed will be 4x.  It's also possible
but unlikely that the enclosure's firmware won't recognize the CD-RW,
since IDE CD-RWs speak ATAPI and IDE hard disks don't.  Make sure that
the usb-storage, usb-uhci (or usb-ohci), sg, and sr_mod modules are
loaded before you try writing to the drive.

The device will appear as a SCSI CD-ROM (/dev/scd0, probably) and a SCSI
generic interface (/dev/sg0, probably).  Mount the scd0 device, use
cdrecord and/or cdrdao to write to the /dev/sg0 device.

> I haven't used the exact setup that you propose, but I have used an
> external CDRW drive that was marketed as a Polaroid drive. According
> to Linux, it's a CDWRITER IDE2410, which I am assuming is the drive
> itself.

I plugged a Plextor USB CD-RW drive into my A22p and everything worked
fine--limited to 4x though since the A22p only supports USB 1.  Most of
the things sold as USB CD-RWs seem to follow the Mass Storage standards
so they just work.  I think the only potential hassle the OP will have
is if the enclosure doesn't play well with the CD-RW he puts in it...
which shouldn't happen, but you never know.  HTH,

--
   Just drink it whenever. Booze is booze, after all, and even when it
   tastes as bad as vodka, it'll still like being in your stomach.