[ltp] Setting up DSL to a Thinkpad configured for Dial up

Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:17:17 +0100

Hi,

> I have gone to Mandrake control center and set up DSL. I can connect as per
> the control center. I can ping the Earthlink router for my dial up
> connection.
>
> I can NOT access any web site or e mail.
>
> Does anybody know what linkage is broken and how to repair?

Might be an unreachable DNS server (try to ping an ip in the net, i.e.
google: 216.239.59.104) or - and more likely - a missing or wrong
defaultroute.

Look at the output of route, there should be a line similar to this
(compressed) one:
default   192.168.1.1   0.0.0.0   UG   0   0   0   eth0

Check if the second field contains the ip or dns name of your router.

I don't know the mandrake tools to change it, i guess there is some easy
interface to do so.

You can always set a default route with route add 0.0.0.0 gw <router> .
If there is a route to 0.0.0.0 already you should remove it first with
route del 0.0.0.0 .

Andre.