[ltp] acpi and apm on t21 - battery problem

Olav Kvittem linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 11 Jan 2004 18:25:31 +0100

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 00:03:25 +0100, Tim Stegmann <ts@bonni.org> wrote:

> hello.
> i tested kernel 2.6.0-test11 on my t21 (running debian/sid) and wanted
> to try out acpi, too. i compiled the whole acpi thing as modules and
> after booting with 2.6 i loaded the acpi modules (battery, cpu,
> fan,...). (but suspend did not work, btw). since the 2.6 trial i have a
> big problem with my battery: it's not working anymore. apm output is:
> "On-line, battery charging" (i'm running 2.4.23 with apm again).
> the battery indicator is orange and bliniking when i power on the tp
> indicating that the battery is at 0% and needs a full charge (as i read
> somewhere at ibm.com). but it won't charge anymore and when i unplug ac
> the tp is turns off immediately.
>
> any ideas? any hint/help appriciated!

I have also been testing ACPI on 2.6.0 without getting suspend to work.
I suspended with 'echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep' or similar, the screen came
back ,but no response on the keyboard.
There was a fix the X DRM kernel module somewhere to help X come back -
haven't tried yet.

So I recompiled the kernel with APM and rebooted. I closed the tp
believing that
it would suspend (did not check)and the next morning all lights were black
and the power did not come on even if I used a charged battery or plugged
in to AC.
My TP40P does not take power and could that be because I used ACPI ?

> tia
> tim

hilsen
   Olav