R: [ltp] TP600E Maximum RAM

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:04:06 -0600

Alexander Wirtz wrote:

> Ok, let me clarify: There are some 600E specs, which state that a max
> of 288MB is possible...

True, but this was a BIOS limitation lifted in later BIOS revisions.
When that spec was written the largest available SODIMM modules were 128MB.

> My 600E (2645-8A0) was able to gobble a 256MB and a 128MB, I did try
> it with 2x 256MB but all I got was some desperate beeping. Still I
> somehow doubt the stuff being said in that link you gave, because I
> think the specification of the chipset ends with 512MB...

The chipset limit is 1GB, as can be seen here:
http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/mature/mature.pdf

The 600E is very picky about memory, so it is no surprise to me that you
were not able to get 2x256MB recognized on the first try.  Rest assured
that with the right 256MB modules you can indeed get 544MB total in a 600E.

wes