[ltp] no sound on my 600E

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 21:55:40 -0500

On Monday 12 January 2004 20:41, after a long battle with technology,
Bernard Fay wrote:
> Ok I have sound now.  The problem:  PCM channel was half way thru at
> the mixer.  I put it to the maximum and the sound card is now alive.
> But what is exactly the PCM channel?
[snip]

PCM means "pulse code modulation".  Digitized sound is often stored in
PCM format; audio CDs are 16-bits-per-sample PCM data sampled at 44100
Hz.  The PCM channel on your mixer is the channel that all sound
processed by your CPU (mp3s, oggs, anything sent to /dev/dsp) goes
through.  Other channels on your mixer panel may include "CD" (volume
from CD, only works if you have a 4-wire audio cable branched between
your CD-R* and your soundcard), "Speaker" (the little speaker present
in every x86), "Line" (input from the line-in jack on your soundcard),
and "Mic" (input from the Mic jack on your soundcard).  Adjust volumes
to taste.  HTH,

--
   I think I'll go hold my head under a bucket of vodka until I feel
   better.