[ltp] no sound on my 600E

Tony Sequeira linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:24:06 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:20:43 +0100 (CET), Rolf G. Schroeder wrote

> Bernard Fay schrieb:
> > Ok I have sound now.  The problem:  PCM channel was half
> > way thru at the
> Hi to all,
> I have the same problem on my TP600e. OSS is up and running now (on
> Suse 9.0) but volume is low. Whenever I try to set up a mixer
> application (kmix or xmixer) the mixer software tells me that there is
> no device. Is there anybody out there who got alsa running on a
> tp600e?

Yes.  With my TP600E, ALSA up to 0.9.8 used the cs4236 sound card.
Starting with 1.0, it moved to cs4232 (go figure).

$ /sbin/modinfo snd-cs423[26]

and set up the correct options in your modules.conf.  Particularly
important (for me at least) is the isapnp option (isapnp=0).  If you
cannot use ps2.exe to discover your irqs and ports, try lspnp, for
which you need a PNPBIOS enabled kernel, or module pnp.o from the
pcmcia package.  Ensure that Quick Boot is off in your BIOS.

Perservere, it will work.

Luck.

--
Tony