[ltp] no sound on my 600E

Michael Hagemann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 11:28:14 +0100

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:24:06 +0000 (GMT) Tony Sequeira wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:20:43 +0100 (CET), Rolf G. Schroeder wrote
>

> > Bernard Fay schrieb:
> > > Ok I have sound now.  The problem:  PCM channel was half
> > > way thru at the
> > Hi to all,
> > I have the same problem on my TP600e. OSS is up and running now (on
> > Suse 9.0) but volume is low. Whenever I try to set up a mixer
> > application (kmix or xmixer) the mixer software tells me that there is
> > no device. Is there anybody out there who got alsa running on a
> > tp600e?
>
> Yes.  With my TP600E, ALSA up to 0.9.8 used the cs4236 sound card.
> Starting with 1.0, it moved to cs4232 (go figure).

> $ /sbin/modinfo snd-cs423[26]
>
> and set up the correct options in your modules.conf.  Particularly
> important (for me at least) is the isapnp option (isapnp=0).  If you
> cannot use ps2.exe to discover your irqs and ports, try lspnp, for
> which you need a PNPBIOS enabled kernel, or module pnp.o from the
> pcmcia package.  Ensure that Quick Boot is off in your BIOS.

I think Tony's hints indicate all the pitfalls.  The ALSA site has also
quite good documentation, actually:

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Cirrus+Logic&card=CS4232&chip=CS4232&module=cs4232

The module options I use (there is a comment somewhere on the above
page, stating "# module options should go here") are the same as Thomas
Hood's (IIRC):

  http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/modutils_sound

(It has to read snd-cs423_2_, of course...)

hth,
michael