[ltp] T41p ? :)

Chun-Yu Shei linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 10:12:44 -0500

Vincent Touquet wrote:

>Ok,
>
>So I was planning on getting the T40p, but now there is a better model, the T41p,
>for the same price.
>
>Does anyone already have experience with this model ?
>
>Seems like I am going to need the drivers provided by ATI for the FireGL T2...
>
>regards,

Heh, I was going to ask why you were thinking about a T40p and not a
T41p :)  But...there's one thing about the T41s that makes them worse
than the T40s :o  Yes, worse.  Apparently, the Intel 855PM chipset does
NOT support PC2700 (333 MHz) memory, so although T41s have PC2700, it
actually runs at 200 MHz, which is worse than the 266 MHz that PC2100
runs at.  So if IBM still uses PC2100 in the T40s, the memory will be
over 1.5x faster on one of those.  IBM is most definitely getting an
e-mail from me about this - 200 MHz is simply unacceptable, and I've
confirmed that it also happens on a Centrino Toshiba with PC2700
memory.  Jeez, my old Dell Latitude D600 actually had 266 MHz :-\
Fellow T41 owners who don't believe me: go to http://www.cpuid.com/ and
get CPU-Z and check the memory tab.  It'll say something around 100 MHz.

- Chun-Yu