[ltp] Running without a battery?

Michael Hagemann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:12:54 +0100

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:50:24 +0100 (CET) Dr. Jason Breitweg wrote:

> I have a a TP240 and just got a new battery for it.  I read somewhere that
> the best way to keep the batteries life long is to charge it fully then
> use it until it is almost fully uncharged and then charge it and so on.
> Anyway I want to leave this TP running at home and access it from work.
> Of course this would mean leaving it plugged in the whole day.
>
> Is it possible to run without the battery pack in the TP?  Ok, I know it
> is possible since I tried it last night, took the battery out and ran with
> the TP plugged in to the AC power.  Is there any reason that this wouldn't
> be a good thing to do?

I read some theories that the battery servers as capacitor to mitigate
possibly adverse effects of current peaks.

> Any suggestions?  I don't want to leave it plugged in at home while I am
> out of the house if something could happen to it.

I'm just putting my old battery in the TP when working on AC power for a
while.  I use the new one only for travelling etc.

BTW, the right way to treat a battery depends very much on the type of
battery you are using.  If you have Li-Ion batteries, you should not
uncharge them fully (except for the first 2 or 3 times) and not shelve
them fully charged.  But your TP240 probably has NiMH ones.

hth,
michael