[ltp] T41 and 2.6.1 - FIXED

Britt Selvitelle linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:18:48 -0500

Just an update ...

The culprate to hanging at init was ACPI, turning this off, and eventually =
switching to APM fixed things up.

After I work out other problems (currently issues with using console frameb=
uffer) I will dive into this further and try to get ACPI working again as=
 I've read success stories with other T41 users.

BTW, if any other T41 users on the list are successfully using 2.6.* and co=
nsole fb I'd love to discuss this as well. Just drop me a note.

Britt

-----Original Message-----
From: "Britt Selvitelle" <mbs@uky.edu>
To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:57:08 -0500
Subject: Re: [ltp] T41 and 2.6.1

I will detail my specific problem more, as maybe someone has some insight .=
 ..

I'm working with Slackware. Got it installed on the thinkpad, using the def=
ault 'bare.i' kernel (the most general one that includes most common hard=
ware drivers) which is 2.4.20. With this, everything works flawlessly exc=
ept for PCMCIA (no activity here, I believe this is due to ISA not being =
enabled in the kernel, which I think thinkpad's PCMCIA interface uses).

I've downloaded the stable 2.6.1 and built it using a variety of configurat=
ions. Primarily my own, but then using several other T41 configs to check=
 if I'm missing something.

Each of these produces the same results ... after selecing the appropriate =
option apon bootup in LILO, it uncompresses the image, and then simply ha=
ngs. She does not enter runtime, so no init scripts are run at all.

As many other thinkpad users have successfully built 2.6.*, I'm looking at =
Slackware as the culprate right now. I'm possibly worried about gcc (vers=
ion 3.2.3), among other things.

Any ideas? Thoughts? Public ridicule?

I'm debating what to try next. Possibly up/down grading gcc.

Thanks,
Britt