[ltp] Running without a battery?

Wolfgang Stief linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 19:52:19 +0100 (CET)

On 2004-01-15 09:03 -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> > http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
> >

> This is definitely an interesting article, which I urge everyone to
> read.

Yes, indeed.

> Hence, it would seem that the battery should not be getting hot once
> it is fully charged and the laptop is running on AC mains.  Can anyone
> confirm this?

Yes, I can. I searched for this information a couple of weeks ago. We
use IBM Thinkpads in our company and most colleagues have problems with
battery life time. So I wanted to set uo a memo and did some web
research. There were several web sites, usenet posts and magazine
articles (c't, German computer magazine) stating that fully charged
LiIon batteries shouldn't get hot. They will decrease in capacity.

I'm used to remove battery when on AC for a long time. My LiIon on a IBM
390x had nearly two hours capacity when 2.5 years old (running Debian
sarge w/ Kernel 2.4.something). I assume, that's a quite good
performance. Now I'm running an X31. Since the notebook ist just half a
yeaer old, I can't say much about battery life on it, though.

wolfgang

--
stief@chaes.de                      "komplexe dokumente mit word ist
GPG: http://www.chaes.de/id.asc      wie haekeln mit boxhandschuhen"