[ltp] Running without a battery?

Michael Hagemann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:02:14 +0100

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:03:23 -0500 Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> The one thing which I'm not convinced about was the recommendation not
> to use a battery while on AC mains, since the battery temperature
> rises when fully charged.  I was fairly sure that on modern Thinkpads,
> once the battery is fully charged, the charging circuit disengages,
> and no power is applied to the battery until it has been discharged
> below 95%.

I think what the article wants to say is, that a running laptop is a
rather hot environment and that keeping fully charged lithium-ion
batteries in hot environments is generally a bad thing.

Just for reference, there was quite a bit of coverage about battery
problems on ThinkPad600s (which are not that modern, of course), which
are supposed to stop charging at 95%, too, but don't so.  Here are two
links that summarize the problem and have pointers to further
discussion:

  http://www.levien.com/tp600-battery.html
  http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/tp600lnx.htm#secbat

>From what I gathered, this is a rather specific tp600 problem, though.