[ltp] R40 - not able to access bios (using "Access IBM" button)

Georg Sauthoff linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:50:22 +0100

On Thursday 15 January 2004 17:41, Filippos Papadopoulos wrote:

Hi,

> BTW can you please tell me how did you convinced IBM to give you the
> recovery CDs ? :)
> I am from Greece and recently i have bought an R40. Unfortunately i have
> destroyed the PITA predesktop area. I said to them that the fault is
> theirs because they dont say anywhere in the manual anything about Linux
> and problem with the format of the hdd...

that is strange. Because you have to disable a security option in the bios,
which "protects" the HPA (hidden protected area) from read/write request from
Linux or another OS.

> I called the IBM services and they said that they cant give me the
> recovery CDs....

Even more strange.

To make it simple, just say that you have installed a new hard disk. If the
operator makes trouble, just ask for his name and the telephone number of his
"team leader".

I called IBM once, because the recovery from HD didn't work. The service was
fine and i got the cd's after three work days with ups express. I only had to
pay for the telephone call.

Regards
Georg Sauthoff