[ltp] Stable Linux OS

David Siska linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 17:03:55 +0000

Dear All,

first would anyone know how to update my BIOS without having MS windows
installed?

> > Can any one from the circle consult me what OS to install to
> > my ThinkPad R40
> > 2722-3DG? I'm used to Slackware, Redhat and Mandrake Linux.

I've installed Mandrake 9.2rc1 and I've been keeping up to date with "cooker",
the Mandrake name for rougly "testing / unstable" in Debian terms. It's
working fine. I'm fairly happy with it.

ACPI: working or so it seems.

Suspend to memory: does not work with ACPI, works with APM

Suspend to disk: works with ACPI and Mandrake kernel
kernel-i686-up-4GB-2.4.22.26mdk-1-1mdk (newer ones contain swsusp 2.0rc3
which does not work for me) I have 3D acceleration for the Radeon Mobility
7500 disabled. With it the X did not resume properly. Sometimes there is a
strange scree glitch and one has to wait for the hdd to be quiet and the
switch off. It still resumes fine.

3D acceleration: worked out of box, but can't susped with it :-(
Sound: no trouble
Ethernet : no trouble
PCMCIA: not tried actually, but should be fine
USB: works (tried scanner & digital camera)
Fn buttons + volume + backlight: works
BIOS: don't know how to update without MS Windows :-) no big deal though.

Details of my hardware:
http://www.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/quickPath.do?quickPathEntry=2681hsg

David