[ltp] Stable Linux OS

Mark Houlder linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 10:40:09 +0000

I came across the EEPROM issue last week... while tweaking the install
of SUSE9 on my T41 I installed the lm-sensors RPM and fired it up to see
if i could get CPU temperature reports, but it came back with a message
saying it couldn't find the sensors. i thought i'd check google to see
if thinkpads were supported and came across a msg something like

SCARY WARNING: DON'T RUN LM-SENSORS ON THINKPADS, IT WILL FRY YOUR
EEPROM MEANING THE BIOS WILL NO LONGER BOOT

brown-trousers time. i've only had my baby for 10 days and already fried
it... but the post that came from was a couple of years old so maybe new
thinkpads are OK, in any case after checking the docs for lm_sensors it
transpires that the latest versions exit before doing anything if they
detect IBM hardware. so everything was fine... i uninstalled it just to
make sure :)

btw SUSE9 works out of the box for everything on my T41 except the wifi
(installed latest CVS madwifi which seems to work fine) and the modem
(downloaded beta drivers from agere which also work fine). everything
else, including speedstep, apm suspend/resume etc works fine (though
there are a few issues after suspending, such as bluetooth stops working
until next reboot). i'm planning to put gentoo on there sometime when
i've got a spare couple of days :)

intY has scanned this email for all known viruses (www.inty.com)