[ltp] netgear CF wireless card

Brian Nelson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:59:59 -0800

Andr=C3=A9 Wyrwa <a.wyrwa@gmx.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> can i destroy a CompactFlash Wireless card by hot-unplugging it?
>
> I just got a Netgear MA701, inserted in a pcmcia-adaptor and did put it
> in my TP. cardmgr didn't have a config for the card, cardctl ident
> showed up the correct infos.
>
> Then i hardware-ejected the whole adapter+card without doing a cardctl
> eject first. Since then the card doesn't identify itself anymore. Also
> not under win.=20

Huh.  I recently had nearly the exact same problem with a D-Link card,
except that it would intermittently work correctly.  Most of the time
though, it didn't know its own identity.  I should be getting the
warranty replacement soon...

> cardctl status, however, shows a present 3.3V card, but with function
> 0 [ready]. cardmgr always tries to load the memory_cs module, due to
> misidentifying the card as anonymous memory device, i guess.
>
> So is it possible, that i destroyed the card?

> I always thought CF cards are hot-pluggable. And there wasn't even a
> driver bound to the card, so it just had power and nothing else.

Hot-plugging it shouldn't hurt it, as far as I know.  I think we've just
had bad hardware...

--=20
Don't worry, it's *in*-flammable.