[ltp] Q further: sound recording, A21m, Caldera 2.4

Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:11:55 -0800 (PST)

Robert,

Richard Neill's suggestion of trying the built-in microphone is a good
one.  On my A21m, it works fine.  Then, when I plug in an exernal
microphone, the built-in one is disabled.

I would suggest doing "cat /dev/dsp".  When the microphone picks up noise,
you should see garbage on the screen.  If this doesn't work, then you know
that your amplification or source select are not working.

Do any other input sources work?  CD?  Line in?

Also, I'm sure you've checked this, but I'd double-check permissions both
to /dev/mixer and /dev/dsp.

Hope this helps,

Erik.