[ltp] Q further2: sound recording, A21m, Caldera 2.4

Wed, 21 Jan 2004 21:29:05 +0000

Can you make line-in work? (Use, for example, the output from a hi-fi
intended for a tape deck, or the headphone output from a radio as a
source).

That will eliminate a few sources of error:
	- Mic gain insufficiently high
	- mic not powered
	- internal mic not working (as is the case on my A22p)
	- phantom power needed.

Phantom power: some microphones, particularly older, heavier, more
expensive ones are "moving coil". They actually output a voltage. Others
- the more modern (usually smaller) type are "electret" - this is a
capacitor + field-effect transistor and requires that a DC supply
voltage is present on the microphone signal line (known as phantom
power). If I remember correctly, many "soundblaster compatible" cards
provide this, but thinkpads do not.
A quick test: try using a pair of ordinary headphones plugged into the
mic input. These will work like a poor quality moving-coil mic.

Does it work in Windows, or did you obliterate Windows as I did?

Richard

--
rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk  **  http://www.richardneill.org
Richard Neill, Trinity College, Cambridge, CB21TQ, U.K.