[ltp] T30 and cdrom boot

manaen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 21:44:44 -1000

I have been having an awful problem with a new thinkpad and was
wondering if anyone could help.  I am still new to the mailing list so
let me say sorry if this problem was already answered by someone else.
I am setting up a t30 to do dual boot between gentoo and win XP,
unfortunately I can not get the machine to boot from the cdrom drive.
When I go into the bios I see an exclamation mark in front of the cdrom
drive and can not get rid of it.  I have tried booting other
systems...gentoo, mandrake move, knoppix, gnoppix, win 98 (my copy of xp
is in the office) they all work on other machines but not the thinkpad.
  I can read cdroms from file explorer in xp once booted but can not
boot from any cds.  I updated the bios to the latest revision and
updated the firmware for the embedded chip controller, no joy.  I could
do a gentoo network install (like installing from a cd isn't painful
enough with gentoo) but this does not solve the inability of the machine
to boot from a cd.  Does anyone have any thoughts?