[ltp] PS/2 wheel mouse and scroll on a TP600E

Fri, 23 Jan 2004 20:58:09 +0200

--J2SCkAp4GZ/dPZZf

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 07:38:18PM +0100, Michael Hagemann wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 18:22:32 +0000 S. Anthony Sequeira wrote:
>=20
> > Any way to use the wheel to scroll with a PS/2 (not USB) wheel mouse?
> >=20
> > I seem to recall that it is not achievable, but would like confirmation
> > before I  go shopping for an USB mouse.
>=20
> Does that mean that your ps/2 wheel mouse doesn't work?
>=20
> Try "ImPS/2" as the protocol in your X11 configuration.  That's safe
> with normal mouses, too, and should work for most wheel mouses.

But not with IBM's trackpoints, sadly.

I do not know if you can get an external PS/2 wheel mouse to work
without first disabling the trackpoint in the BIOS.  Perhaps an external
program like GPM could mediate and automatically detect & convert PS/2
and non-PS/2 talking mice to a single protocol, perhaps not.

I do not think that is too big a disadvantage because PS/2 devices
aren't hotpluggable (AFAIK), and therefore I'd need a USB mouse anyway.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
Those parts of the system that you can hit with a hammer (not advised)
are called hardware; those program instructions that you can only curse
at are called software.
                -- Levitating Trains and Kamikaze Genes: Technological
                   Literacy for the 1990's.

--J2SCkAp4GZ/dPZZf

--J2SCkAp4GZ/dPZZf--