[ltp] cd image of a cd

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 24 Jan 2004 20:08:34 -0500

On Tuesday 20 January 2004 11:03, after a long battle with technology,=20
Martin H=F6fling wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 20. Januar 2004 16:32 schrieb Gustavo Halperin:
> > I want make  a copy of one CD to others. How I make the image
> > of the CD ??
[snip]
> although it's not a ThinkPad related question:
> dd if=3D/dev/hdc of=3D/tmp/yourcdimage.iso

Only works for data CDs that have only 1 session on them.  Fails=20
miserably for audio CDs, CDs with copy-prevention garbage, VCDs, SVCDs,=20
CDs with multiple sessions, and so forth.  Not recommended unless you=20
know your source CD is totally vanilla.

> http://linux.bryanconsulting.com/stories/storyReader$170

Still not valid for the general case.  The general way to copy any CD is=20
to do "cdrdao copy --device X,Y,Z" with the source CD in device X,Y,Z,=20
then follow the prompts.  You can also use the read-cd command to=20
create BIN+CUE files using cdrdao (though the CUE file will be called a=20
TOC file by default--just rename it.)  HTH,

=2D-=20
   Love is a snowmobile racing across the Arctic tundra that suddenly
   flips over, pinning you underneath.  At night, the Ice Weasels come.
   --Matt Groening, "Love Is Hell"