[ltp] Thinkpad T41

Greg Meyer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 00:34:46 -0500

On Sunday 25 January 2004 11:57 pm, Tim Nordell wrote:
> Hi,
> I know this does not directly relate to this mailing list, but closely,
> but I am considering getting a Thinkpad T41, and putting linux on it.  I
> was just wondering what some of your buying experiences were, and if it
> would be better to buy direct from IBM, or to buy from another company.
> Mainly, there are some companies where you can get the identical model
> that you can get from IBM directly, but for a lower price.  Any input on
> this would be much appreciated, thanks.

2379-DJU here purchased directly from IBM.  I couldn't find it cheaper than
IBM direct because of a buying program I am eligible for.  IBM was very
responsive to my request for restore CD's, which you'll want if you are going
to wipe the disk and put Linux on it (I wanted the predesktop area for data
storage too).  I installed mandrake 9.2 and Fedora Core 1 both without
problems, but I ended up sticking with Mandrake because I just liked it
better, plus they provided the binary FireGL drivers from ATI with Club
PowerPack.

I love the machine, it is awesome.  Her are my (incomplete) install notes.

http://cybercfo.gkmweb.com/t41_notes.html

and here is my comparison of Fedora and Mandrake

http://cybercfo.gkmweb.com/fedora_v_mandrake.html
--
/g