[ltp] [R40] middle `mouse' button above touchpad

Magnus Kreth linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 12:45:39 +0100

On Sunday 25 January 2004 23:37, Patrick Drechsler wrote:
> mukesh agrawal wrote on 25 Jan 2004 01:46:21 MET:
> >>
> >>  ...kernel 2.4.20...
> >
> > I never got the middle button to work with a 2.4 kernel.
> >
> > Having said that, when I finally got around to using a 2.6
> > kernel, it was with a newer version of the synaptics driver for
> > XFree86, so I'm not sure which change is the important one.
>
> Thanks for this valuable piece of information. I have the
> impression that everybody else is using kernel 2.6.

Well, not everybody else ;-)

I have the trackpoint and the touchpad fully working on a T40p with SuSE 9.0
using kernel 2.4.21. The one thing that has to be done besides using the
synaptics driver in your XF86Config is to update the driver at least to
version 0.12.2 which has been published in december. Note that this is much
easier than it sounds - all you have to do is:
* download the synaptics-0.12.3.tar.bz2 file from
http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/
* extract this archive (tar -xjf synaptics-0.12.3.tar.bz2) - change to the
newly created directory synaptics
* type 'make' and 'make install' - this installs the synaptics driver into
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/ and the utilities synclient and syndaemon into
/usr/local/bin/
* adopt your XF86Config - note that you don't have to load any "synaptics"
module (in the "Module" section) - simply change your "InputDevice" section
referring to your touchpad so that it contains the entry "Driver"
"synaptics". Note the difference between the driver name "synaptics" and the
name of the binary driver file "synaptics_drv.o". Further edit the
"InputDevice" section to contain the entries mentioned in the README file
from the synaptics source directory (where you typed "make" and "make
install")
* Restart X11!

Have fun tapping on your TP!
Magnus Kreth