[ltp] Using a PS/2 wheel mouse with TrackPoint

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 13:32:10 +0100

Since this subject was brought up recently I decided to see
whether or not one can in fact use a PS/2 wheel mouse together
with the TrackPoint under Linux 2.6.  It is possible, at least
on my ThinkPad 600X and with a Logitech TrackMan Marble Wheel.
There is a trick to it: I have to load the PS/2 mouse driver
(psmouse.ko) twice: once while the TrackPoint is enabled and
once while the Trackpoint is disabled.  I guess this is necessary
so that the driver will correctly initialize the mouse, which it
can only do if the pointing device hardware is in passthrough
mode.  The following script seems to do the trick:

#!/bin/sh
tpctl -spi=enable
sudo rmmod psmouse
sudo modprobe psmouse