[ltp] TV out and Neomagic chipset

Michelle Klein-Hass linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 08:51:19 -0800

>Hello,
>
>I know thats quite unsupported but I have this combination in my 390E
>thinkpad. Also I know that this is on 600 series.
>
>I started to develop drivers for TV out.
>
>What I have done:
>
>1) I have isolated the part of the windows driver responsible to handle
>TVout
>2) I know how the TV api works
>3) I have written a loader to load the driver into memory and use VM86
>     to run it. And I tried to call some functions so its working.
>
>4) the binary version of windows driver part is 100% same for Thinkpad
>390e also same for 600e
>5) The windows 98 driver uses VESA VBE 0x4f14 calls so it may work with
>others too.
>6) The thinkpad I have has chrontel 7003 TV encoder.
>7) Someone forgot codeview information in the driver.
>

>Future development:
>1) get this working
>2) write version without the windows driver using VESA calls
>3) Avoid vesa calls and do it on register level

There seems to be a problem with the standard Neomagic video driver
for XFree86 that makes Xine puke. Well, it doesn't puke so much as
show a vivid blue screen while the audio plays. I am trying to get
VCDs to work under Knoppix 3.3 (some November release, I think) on my
600e. TV out would be nice but I would like to get video overlay
support. Video overlay works swimmingly under Windows 2000 and I can
watch 1.1-compliant VCDs until the cows come home. (WiMP doesn't play
VCD 2.0-encoded VCDs.)

Do you know how to get this working under Linux?

-.\\<-H-