[ltp] More on USB drive enclosure

Mendel Cooper linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 22:18:01 -0700 (MST)

About a month ago, I reported on my success with a USB box, used for
hooking up a 3.5" (desktop) CD/RW drive to a TP770Z. It autodetected,
loaded the correct modules automatically, and autoconfigured. Didn't
have to do any hacking around or fiddling at all. Oh, yes, running a
2.4.20 kernel.

However . . .

The accompanying literature to this box states that it would also work
with a 3.5" IDE hard drive. All right, I tried an old 8 Gig HD I had
used on a desktop computer. It had a few ext2 partitions on it.

It didn't autodetect this time. I couldn't get my TP to recognize the
drive, although it did recognize the USB hub. I tried various mount
options and making changes in /etc/fstab, but it wouldn't mount.

Has anyone had any success with this? Using a HD with a USB hub-type
device?  If so, what entry to make in /etc/fstab? Any other tips or
tricks.

It would make my day to get this working.

Thanks.