[ltp] 600E and 2.6.1...

Michael Hagemann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 11:54:53 +0100

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 22:04:27 +0100 Marco Gaiarin wrote:

> MH> After recompiling, suspend should work.  This is a trivial patch, that
> MH> just reinserts 3 lines of code that have been dropped in the
> MH> development series.
>
> What is the diference between this patch and the 770 patch from Charles
> Lepple?! Different approach for the same solution?!
> AFAIK 770's and 600's are not so different...

I guess different necessities for the same solution.  Charles' patch
seems to work on (some) TP600x models, too, but did not work for me.  My
patch works for me (I also have a 2645-4A0) and at least for one other
person, who also posted it on comp.os.linux.laptop.  But my patch does
not seem to help on non 600e models.

Both patches deal with subtle controller issues.  Charles patch shuts
off a timer, my patch shuts off the floppy controller.  The bios seems
to monitor these controllers and inhibits a suspend if they are active.

Does the patch work for you?

> >> Jan 25 21:40:07 sara kernel: Device 'mwave' does not have a release()
> >>   function, it is broken and must be fixed.
> MH> Well, this is your chance to show off your kernel developer skillz... :)
>
>  ...i don't need the modem. ;)

That's no excuse! ;)

> MH> Seems to be a matter of adjusting your mind to new, never-heard-of
> MH> locations in the /etc directory...
>
>  ...as you can see in the next message, it is not only this... ;(((

You might try to use gnome without esd.  If you just listen to music
there's basically no difference... (you also don't hear those annoying
sound events anymore ;)

As to the loading of the thinkpad modules during boot, there should be
some clues in the logs.  Also, before issuing /etc/init.d/apimiser, do a
"lsmod" and look out for thinkpad related modules...

michael