[ltp] Low CPU speed on T21 with Suse 9 Pro

Michael Stender linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:12:15 +0100

I installed Suse Professional 9 from DVD on a ThinkPad T21 with 512 MB RAM.
The default installation did not recognise the Ethernet card, so I disabled
ACPI manually as a boot option and activated APM in the YaST runlevel
editor. Networking now works fine (BTW also suspending to RAM). The problem
is now, that cpuspeed tells me that the CPU is only working with 206 MHz,
even while being connected to a AC source (e.g. in the KDE Desktop the AC
symbol is shown + 100% charged batteries). In /var/log/cpuinfo the CPU
family and stepping is correctly identified, but it says the cpu MHz is
212.557 (in fact a T21 has a 800 MHz CPU). I already also disabled cpufreqd
in the runlevel editor.

Suse's 9 distribution kernel version is 2.4.21-99

Any help and hints are greatly appreciated, TIA
-- Michael Stender