[ltp] Which wireless network card?

Heiko Rosemann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 19:02:18 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> I recently took delivery of an X31, model 2672-PBU, which comes with the
> Intel wireless card.
>
> I am aware of the Centrino issues, and am trying to determine the best
> strategy for running this system under Linux (Mandrake 9.2).
>
> Apparently my choices are:
>
> 1) Do nothing, use Windows for wireless, and wait for the Intel Linux driver
>
> 2) Get the $20 Linuxant solution for using the Windows driver under Linux
>
> 3) Get the open source NDISwrapper package to use the Windows driver
> under Linux
>
> 4) Spend $85 on the IBM a/b/g replacement card (part 31P9701) which uses
> the Atheros chipset and is supported under Linux by the "madwifi" driver.
> (Some people on this list seem to have had some problems with this card)
>
> Any experiences or suggestions on the best approach are greatly appreciated, even if
> it's not one of the above options.

5) Get the Cisco card and use either the cisco linux drivers or the modified
   airo_mpi driver by Fabrice Bellet. The latter works fine for me, including
   ad-hoc mode and suspend. No idea about the price, sorry (came with my
   X30) but maybe you could exchange the intel one with the cisco one?

HTH, Heiko