[ltp] Cisco firmware again

Karl Klashinsky linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 16:14:58 -0800

I don't speak for Cisco.  I don't work in the wireless group.  What
follows comes from my own experience/frustration dealing with mpi350 on
my laptop.  Disclaim.  Deny.  Etc.

      * To update firmware under Linux, you can use ACU.  There may be a
        way to do it from the command line, too, dunno.
      * I seem to recall reading _somewhere_ that Fabrice didn't
        recommend using his driver to update the firmware, but instead,
        manually load the Cisco driver in order to do firmware updates.
      * Yes, you can toggle a setting in windows version of ACU, and it
        will not auto-update firmware.
      * Again, faint memory, but I recall reading somewhere that you
        probably don't want to be reloading the firmware frequently.
        Basically, not designed/spec'd to handle rewrites... at some
        point, you'll start to find that the "new" firmware won't
        "take".