[ltp] New Thinkpad Advice - X models

nut megger linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 1 Jul 2004 04:48:51 -0700 (PDT)

I do not believe that you can access the serial port
located on the ultrabay of the x series thinkpads
since I have not been able to do it after trying for
close to six weeks.  So if you have an external modem
on the serial port (I do), it appears to be useless,
unless someone can give me specific instructions on
what to do.

In my case, PC Doctor says the serial port is present,
it is enabled in the BIOS configuration, but no Linux
distribution that I know of can access it (e.g.,
Fedora Core 2, SuSe 9.1, Debian, Redhat, Mandrake 10,
and on and on and on - I have tried them all) - VERY
FRUSTRATING and makes the X series with an ultrabay
useless.  Go with the R series or new T series.

--- Heiko Rosemann <hrosema@fkg.goe.ni.schule.de>