[ltp] Help: serial port on thinkpad ultrabay

Ted Potter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
01 Jul 2004 06:12:09 -0700

using redhat 9 here is a snip from /var/log/dmesg file

Detected PS/2 Mouse Port.
pty: 2048 Unix98 ptys configured
Serial driver version 5.05c (2001-07-08) with MANY_PORTS MULTIPORT
SHARE_IRQ SERIAL_PCI ISAPNP enabled
ttyS0 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS1 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

Suggest you look for something like this on your system.

using minicom I used /dev/ttyS0  (COM1) or /dev/ttyS1 (COM2)
as the device.

I don't know if the serial port being on the ultrabay is a problem,
so looking at the boot messages to see if your serial ports are listed
may be the answer. However the boot messages may be only for the laptop
and not the ultrabay. So if you see the serial ports listed, disable
them in bios then check the boot log. If they still show up I would say
the ultrabay serial ports are being seen.

just my newbie two cents worth.

Ted