[ltp] New Thinkpad Advice - X models

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 1 Jul 2004 10:02:33 -0400

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 04:48:51 -0700 (PDT)
nut megger <bmw_nutmegger@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I do not believe that you can access the serial port
> located on the ultrabay of the x series thinkpads
> since I have not been able to do it after trying for
> close to six weeks.

I'll have to try my X20 ultrabay's serial port to see if there's a
problem.  I know the PARALLEL port is accessible, but since I use the
internal modem, I've never had need to use it.  The USB ports, of course,
work fine.

> In my case, PC Doctor says the serial port is present,
> it is enabled in the BIOS configuration, but no Linux
> distribution that I know of can access it (e.g.,
> Fedora Core 2, SuSe 9.1, Debian, Redhat, Mandrake 10,
> and on and on and on - I have tried them all) - VERY
> FRUSTRATING and makes the X series with an ultrabay
> useless.  Go with the R series or new T series.

Have you been able to access the serial port on "That Other OS"?

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/