[ltp] Two Questions: Suse 9.0 on Thinkpad R40

Greg Meyer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 1 Jul 2004 22:12:54 -0400

On Thursday 01 July 2004 09:51 pm, Willis Gregory wrote:
> I just joined this list and have two questions:
>
> 1.  I recently purchased a Thinkpad R40 preloaded with Windows XP.  I then
> loaded Suse 9.0 personal to dual boot with XP using grub.  Works fine
> except that when I do a shutdown from Linux, it does not automatically turn
> the system off when shutdown is complete.  I have to hold the shift key and
> power on keys in order to completely turn it off.  Any ideas how to correct
> this?

Start kernel with nolapic boot parameter

> 2.  The R40 comes with an embedded Security Chip.  I would like to secure
> the system in event of theft while traveling.  Are there any known Linux
> problems if I go into the setup utility and (a) enable the security chip,
> and (b) set a supervisor and power-on password.  I'm assuming this will add
> a layer of hardware-based password authentication  prior to the normal
> Linux or Windows software password authentication?

I think you are confusing the BIOS password and the security chip.  I think
they are two different things.  At present, I don't think the security chip
is well supported in Linux, but the BIOS password should work fine.
--
/g