[ltp] font rendering

Hartwig, Thomas linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 02 Jul 2004 12:23:00 +0200

Hi folks,

my topic might be not really related to this list, but I would like to
ask you for your experiences with fonts within linux.

I have read a lot of things and tutorials around, but I still do not get
the TrueType fonts like Arial or Tahoma to work within Mozilla *without*
antialiasing.

I don't like the antialiasing thing in Mozilla, because it makes thing
less readable with small font settings. But if I turn off antialiasing
the standard TTF fonts from windows look very crispy in it. I have
tested a lot and even converted the fonts to Type1 ones, but nothing
helped. Finally I made the windows fonts not available any more.

Do you have a tip for me, or do the windows fonts simply not work with
linux?

My setup: Fedora 2 on a T40p with KDE

Best regards
Thomas

PS: *antialiasing* is an awful word for none native english speakers, so
I'm wondering if it is for natives too? ;-)