[ltp] New Thinkpad Advice - X models

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 10:11:22 -0400

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 04:56:11 -0700 (PDT)
nut megger <bmw_nutmegger@yahoo.com> wrote:

> As a newbie I would VERY much appreciate you sharing,
> step by small step, how you did it.  I still have my
> x21 with an ultrabay sitting in my office loaded with
> fedora care 2 and I am still UNABLE to dial out with
> my external modem connected to the serial port.
> Thanks much!

One thing you might want to check is, after booting up, tty

dmesg |grep tty

in a shell.  You should see a message like

ttyS0 at (some settings) is an 16550A

or the same thing, but with ttyS(some other number).

If you see:

ttyLT00 at 0x1810 (irq = 11) is a Lucent Modem

, then you've probably got the ltmodem package installed and you can just
use THAT modem and not have to carry around the media slice. :)

If you get the ttyS0 message, your serial port SHOULD work.  To test it
out, try the terminal program minicom and set it to /dev/ttyS(whatever
number you actually got from dmesg) and see if you can talk to the modem.

One other thing to try is that on the same BIOS screen where you enable
the serial port, you can change the serial port's settings.  Try a
different IO port / IRQ combination and see if that helps.

I can't do any more testing with the serial port because I'm on vacation
and I just don't have it with me.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/