[ltp] Refurbing a TP600e 21645-5JU for Knoppix/Linux

Fri, 2 Jul 2004 13:38:05 -0400

I have been given a refugee TP600e 2645-5JU and have decided to
refurb it
from its last state.

At present:
366MHz Pentium II
128K RAM
6GB HD
DVD/CD-ROM
Floppy w/External Cable

The MAIN GOAL is to move to Linux and specifically: Knoppix
V3.4 or
possibly 3.6 when it comes at the end of July.

What would *I* like to do:

1) MAX Memory out. Based on research the MAX RAM is 288MB
for the 2645-5JU
model, correct? I've heard that *some* TP600e can handle 556MB
via 2 256K
SO-DIMMS (low density 8 chips per side), but OFFICIALLY per:
http://www-
3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-
4E4RG3 the 5JU does
NOT support this upgrade in BIOS and memory option. Any one
had success
with 256MB RAM modules in the 2645-5JU?

2) DVD-ROM/CD-ROM upgrade to a DVD-R/RW/CD-ROM drive.
Any one with any
slimline DVD-R/RW drive suggestions. MUST be compatible with
Knoppix/Linux. Support of DVD-RAM would be a great plus if
possible, but
not required.

I've found a DVD/CD-RW that gets floated around on EBay LG
GCC4241N, (
http://store.yahoo.com/compuvest/607000469-01.html ) this is Plan
B if I
can not find a DVD-ROM/-R/-RW/-RAM drive to use. I just would
like the
abilit y to be able to make CD's or DVD's when traveling with it.
DVD-RAM
would be nice for backups.

3) Any processor upgrades for this model? Its not a real priority
and may
not do it at all, but I may look into it should I find the right &
compatible module to plug in at a deal. It seems pretty speedy for
366
under Lin ux even running the live CD. Just curious to know my
options
should I run across the right module at a deal. Putting $200+ into it
for
a CPU may not be worth it v. using the money for a new machine,
but at the
right price .

4) Hard Disks Internal - From the lists it seems that just about any
drive
has been successful in the TP600e. So I will pick up a caddy on
EBay and
then add a HD. Any one have a favorite or preference on drives.

5) Hard Disks for the slim bay. Whats needed to put a HD into the
slim bay
to swap with the CD, DVD, Floppy? A carrier that adapts the plugs
for the
drive to the bay and a caddy to hold the drive in the carrier?

6) Whats the best source of new or refurb'd batteries for BOTH the
regular
battery slot and the battery that fits in the slim bay.

7) Case clean up. The case on this laptop has seen better days,
and I
would like to clean it up as best I can. Whats the best suggestions
on
resurfacing and redoing the case, especially the LCD screen back
or top
(how ever you want to look at it) to be almost as new.

8) Was there an internal 10BaseT network card for the 2645-5JU ?
Or just
the MWave Modem?

9) To confirm from research that solution to this symptom:

LCD Screen will blink on and off, and hitting Fn-F7 several times will
normally bring it back to viewable and then after a while stay there.
Its
not that the screen is totally blank you can faintly see the screen if
you
l ook close.

Based on this symptom and research the LCD Inverter needs to be
replaced.
Correct?

10) Docking Stations and Port replicators. My head is spinning I've
seen
so many. Can some one please break it down on the docking
stations and
port replicator options and what they include and thier benefits if
any.
Main
 use will be as a Linux/Knoppix Laptop which will do mostly email,
web,
 some word processing etc.. Ability to connect to 1xRTT and QNC
style cell
 net access as well in places with out a LAN or in the case of work
in
 place of their LAN to bypass their draconian net use rules.

Priority List of Upgrades

1) New or Refurb'd (new cells) battery
2) Update BIOS
3) Add MAX RAM either 2 128MB or 2 256MB
4) Install Knoppix to HD

At this point it will become my daily use laptop, the following will be
added as project $$ allows.

5) Replace the LCD Inverter for now I can live with its some times
cantankeours behavior 6) Larger HD and clone above HD to new
drive 7) CD
Writer Drive be it a DVD-R/RW/RAM or just the DVD-ROM/CD-
R/RW 8) Internal
slimbay battery

Other options I am looking to add:

1) TV Video Out Board
2) MWave Modem
3) Docking stations and/or Port replicators
4) CPU Upgrade
5) External UltraBay

Some of this I may do out order as I have extra project $$ and find
deals.

For a free laptop that works pretty good and needs a little TLC to
bring back to life v. $700 + for a new one I think I can handle it
being a litte out dated speed wise. Knoppix seems to be pretty
speedy even on the live CD.

Thanks in advance for all input on my numerous questions. I've
spent the last few weeks looking into things and plan to refurb a
little at time.