[ltp] Refurbing a TP600e 21645-5JU for Knoppix/Linux

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 02 Jul 2004 18:47:59 -0500

tp600e@rccons.com wrote:

>I have been given a refugee TP600e 2645-5JU and have decided to
>refurb it
>from its last state.
>
>At present:
>366MHz Pentium II
>128K RAM
>6GB HD
>DVD/CD-ROM
>Floppy w/External Cable
>
>The MAIN GOAL is to move to Linux and specifically: Knoppix
>V3.4 or
>possibly 3.6 when it comes at the end of July.
>
>What would *I* like to do:
>
>1) MAX Memory out. Based on research the MAX RAM is 288MB
>for the 2645-5JU
>model, correct? I've heard that *some* TP600e can handle 556MB
>via 2 256K
>SO-DIMMS (low density 8 chips per side), but OFFICIALLY per:
>http://www-
>3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-
>4E4RG3 the 5JU does
>NOT support this upgrade in BIOS and memory option. Any one
>had success
>with 256MB RAM modules in the 2645-5JU?

Many have had success using two 256MB SODIMM.
First, update your BIOS to the latest (last) version from:
http://www.pc.ibm.com/qtechinfo/DSHY-3TLQ2L.html?lang=en_US&page=brand&brand=root&doctype=&subtype=Cat

Note that the 600E is somewhat picky about memory modules, so don't be
discouraged if the first new modules you try don't work.  When I first
got my 600E I tried to use a pair of generic 128MB PC-100 SODIMM and
they were not recognized.  I switched to Crucial (Micron) brand and they
were recognized.

>2) DVD-ROM/CD-ROM upgrade to a DVD-R/RW/CD-ROM drive.
>Any one with any
>slimline DVD-R/RW drive suggestions. MUST be compatible with
>Knoppix/Linux. Support of DVD-RAM would be a great plus if
>possible, but
>not required.
>
>I've found a DVD/CD-RW that gets floated around on EBay LG
>GCC4241N, (
>http://store.yahoo.com/compuvest/607000469-01.html ) this is Plan
>B if I
>can not find a DVD-ROM/-R/-RW/-RAM drive to use. I just would
>like the
>abilit y to be able to make CD's or DVD's when traveling with it.
>DVD-RAM
>would be nice for backups.

I've never seen a writeable DVD drive in a 600E.  Even a writeable CD is
beyond what IBM offered.  Some have had success swapping a generic
slimline drive such as what you list above into the caddy for the CDROM
drive that IBM supplied for the 600E.

>3) Any processor upgrades for this model? Its not a real priority
>and may
>not do it at all, but I may look into it should I find the right &
>compatible module to plug in at a deal. It seems pretty speedy for
>366
>under Lin ux even running the live CD. Just curious to know my
>options
>should I run across the right module at a deal. Putting $200+ into it
>for
>a CPU may not be worth it v. using the money for a new machine,
>but at the
>right price .

600E maxed out at 400MHz, not enough of a upgrade from 366MHz to bother
with, in my opinion.  You would have to source the 400MHz cpu board and
then swap it in.

>4) Hard Disks Internal - From the lists it seems that just about any
>drive
>has been successful in the TP600e. So I will pick up a caddy on
>EBay and
>then add a HD. Any one have a favorite or preference on drives.

Any drive that will fit will work.  I went with a Hitachi (formerly IBM)
Travelstar 40G 4200RPM.  It is quiet and faster than the original 6G
Toshiba.  Faster and larger drives are available too.

>5) Hard Disks for the slim bay. Whats needed to put a HD into the
>slim bay
>to swap with the CD, DVD, Floppy? A carrier that adapts the plugs
>for the
>drive to the bay and a caddy to hold the drive in the carrier?

You can find a carrier for the UltraSlimBay on eBay.  Note that this
really consists of two pieces, the carrier and a metal shield that goes
around the drive.  When I bought my drive carrier the shield was
missing, and it is required to mount the drive securely in the carrier.
I found a workaround though, by using four flat-head screws and four
washers on the drive I got it to wedge tightly in the carrier.

>6) Whats the best source of new or refurb'd batteries for BOTH the
>regular
>battery slot and the battery that fits in the slim bay.

eBay, but I wouldn't bother with the 2nd battery.  It costs more than
the regular battery yet it has less capacity.  The original regular
battery was 3200MAH, but current replacements are 3600MAH.

>7) Case clean up. The case on this laptop has seen better days,
>and I
>would like to clean it up as best I can. Whats the best suggestions
>on
>resurfacing and redoing the case, especially the LCD screen back
>or top
>(how ever you want to look at it) to be almost as new.

That will be tough, the case is relatively soft plastic so it scratches
pretty easily.  I think the best you can do is remove the grime with any
mild household cleaner and just live with the scratches (or cover them
up with stickers).

>8) Was there an internal 10BaseT network card for the 2645-5JU ?
>Or just
>the MWave Modem?

Nope, never any internal ethernet.  I recommend a 32-bit PCCard adapter
like the 3Com 3CCFE575CT, though there are several suitable alternatives
so you can choose the jack style you want.  I like the pop-out X-Jack.

>9) To confirm from research that solution to this symptom:
>
>LCD Screen will blink on and off, and hitting Fn-F7 several times will
>normally bring it back to viewable and then after a while stay there.
>Its
>not that the screen is totally blank you can faintly see the screen if
>you
>l ook close.
>
>Based on this symptom and research the LCD Inverter needs to be
>replaced.
>Correct?

Possibly, but it might just be a loose connector.  Several have reported
success in fixing dead or flakey LCD operation by merely reseating the
connector for the inverter.  You need to disassemble the case to try
this out.

>10) Docking Stations and Port replicators. My head is spinning I've
>seen
>so many. Can some one please break it down on the docking
>stations and
>port replicator options and what they include and thier benefits if
>any.

There aren't that many that are for the 600E.  I won't mention the USB
port extenders, they are small but they are not specific to Thinkpads.
I have the SelectaBase 600 port replicator, 12J2467.  It has ports for
PS/2 keyboard, PS/2 mouse, USB, VGA video, power, external floppy,
serial, joystick/MIDI, and parallel (and all work with Linux).  It also
has an expansion port for an add-on that provides two more PCCard slots,
but I have no experience with that.  It can also connect to a larger
base that has at least one PCI slot and more drive expansion, but I'm
not familiar with that at all.

>Main
> use will be as a Linux/Knoppix Laptop which will do mostly email,
>web,
> some word processing etc.. Ability to connect to 1xRTT and QNC
>style cell
> net access as well in places with out a LAN or in the case of work
>in
> place of their LAN to bypass their draconian net use rules.
>
>Priority List of Upgrades
>
>1) New or Refurb'd (new cells) battery
>2) Update BIOS
>3) Add MAX RAM either 2 128MB or 2 256MB
>4) Install Knoppix to HD

That all sounds reasonable.  You might want to replace the cap on the
TrackPoint too, if yours is worn smooth.

>At this point it will become my daily use laptop, the following will be
>added as project $$ allows.
>
>5) Replace the LCD Inverter for now I can live with its some times
>cantankeours behavior 6) Larger HD and clone above HD to new
>drive 7) CD
>Writer Drive be it a DVD-R/RW/RAM or just the DVD-ROM/CD-
>R/RW 8) Internal
>slimbay battery
>
>Other options I am looking to add:
>
>1) TV Video Out Board

Some models have this, some don't.  It isn't too hard to install if you
can source the part.

>2) MWave Modem

It's already in there, you just have to set it up.

>3) Docking stations and/or Port replicators
>4) CPU Upgrade

CPU upgrade is probably not worth it.

>5) External UltraBay

Only available in the full dock.

>Some of this I may do out order as I have extra project $$ and find
>deals.
>
>For a free laptop that works pretty good and needs a little TLC to
>bring back to life v. $700 + for a new one I think I can handle it
>being a litte out dated speed wise. Knoppix seems to be pretty
>speedy even on the live CD.
>
>Thanks in advance for all input on my numerous questions. I've
>spent the last few weeks looking into things and plan to refurb a
>little at time.

Keep your project in perspective, remember that this is a five year old
laptop now.  I assembled mine two years ago and have gotten a lot of use
out of it, but as my desire for a faster CPU, more RAM, and USB2 grows I
will eventually have to replace it.  But if you can live within its
speed and memory limitations, and don't smash it out of frustration
while setting it up (especially sound and modem), then the 600E will
serve as a fine Linux laptop.

Good luck,
wes